X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powersave freezes computer

Hi,

I have a homebuilt system running Kubuntu 10.04. I have had a lot of updates the last couple of days come through. One of the updates prompted this problem. I am not sure which one it was so I don't know what one to undo.

I have set the powersave options all to do nothing after the maximum minuets 360.

I have also disabled the screen saver.

After about 10 minuets of no use the computer freezes. This even happens if I just leave the logon screen on. But if I am using the computer, everything stays fine.

Not sure what information you will need.

I am using the most current and recommended Nvidia driver according to the hardware drivers program.

Re: Powersave freezes computer

Open a Konsole window, enter "top" with no quote marks, and then just walk away for 10 minutes. When you come back, it should be "frozen" and top will show which process is using all the resources. I'll speculate that it will be strigi, but we'll let you tell us when you find out.

Also, you DON'T have to use the power switch to shut it down, if you ever find it in this condition. Do Alt-SysRq and while holding them down, press R S E I U B in sequence, and it will shut down and reboot.

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip about the alt-sysrq. I did not know about that little trick. I have been running the system now with the top command for 4 hours without it shutting down. This is the craziest thing I have seen.

Comment

I don't think it is the powersave now. I was working on some settings with my router and it froze. I had top running. Is there a way to get a log from that? Unfortunately it was not on the screen when the computer froze.

EDIT: Got it to happen with top running. It is hald-addon-stor that had the most processor usage. Something else that is rather strange and I can't make heads or tales of. I upgraded my cell phone. I keep it on the tower case. Every time it communicates with my provider and I hear the feedback through the speakers, the machine will freeze within 10 seconds. I know it sounds strange but it is an anomoly that happens around the time the computer freezes. It is a blackberry curve 8900.

Comment

Working...
        X