This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ati radeon HD 2400 xt dual screen with desktop effects

Hello, i have a clean install of kubuntu 10.04.
    I had desktop effects until i installed the proprietary ati driver for getting my xinerama dual-screen setup.

Before my xinerama i had no xorg.conf, or a least i couldn't find it.
    After xinerama, i had an xorg.conf that was created by amdcccle screen because i need that to save my display settings for the dual-screen setup.

Now i want my desktop effects back but now, i get a message that
    "Compositing is not supported on your system.
    Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available."

Can somebody help me so that i can install a ati driver that supports compositing and dual-screen setup?
    Fat_lu is in tha house!

Re: ati radeon HD 2400 xt dual screen with desktop effects

I had the same problem, disabling the compatibility checks in desktop effects will make it work but then it randomly crashes and restarts the X server. The Xorg.0.log doesn't give any indication about why it crashes.
    The hazards of proprietary drivers I guess. Hopefully an update, either kubuntu or ATI, will fix the issue.

Comment

i have stoped using the properiary driver the opensource one works just fine (even w/ dual screens..).
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I think I had an issue with the dual screens that prompted me to go with the proprietary driver but I might switch back tonight and tinker with it some more.

Thanks!

Comment

the only issue i have w/ the open driver is that xrandr has to be told what res to set my screens (they are different sizes) if i don't tell it it will set them to the higest common res the screens share , in my case 1280*1024. this can be solved with an xrandr script on start up or changeing a line in a /etc/kde/kdm/Xsession. search around here you will find a few posts with more info on how and what to set.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I decided to try updating xorg first. I added the xorg-edgers ppa, downloaded 200+ updates yesterday and it's been running great ever since. I'll give it another day or so but I think I've got it solved.

Comment

Yup, desktop effects are running fantastic now. Now crashes at all.

Comment

Working...
              X