This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable fan control

I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but it's re-enabled itself and I've forgotten what I did.

Kubuntu is taking over my fan control from the BIOS, and it needs turning off. Kubuntu's fan control probably wouldn't normally be a problem, but I run BOINC so my CPU is constantly getting hammered, and thus really hot. There doesn't seem to be any limit on the adjust rate for the fan speed, and as a result the speed ramps up and down all the time, driving me nuts.

My BIOS has entirely adequate fan control, so I'd like to disable the OS's fan control so the BIOS gets on and does it. I can't figure out how. Google tells me that the daemon in charge of fan control is called fancontrol, and it's there in /etc/init.d, but not in my running processes. There are no messages related to it in the syslog, and attempting to /etc/init.d/fancontrol start or stop it has no effect.

Any suggestions?

Re: Disable fan control

Try renaming the file fancontrol in /etc to fancontrol.old or just deleting it. If it doesn't exist, its unlikely that fancontrol is running at all. Your fanspeed variation may just be due to bios control. There are few algorithms that account for the "hysteresis effect" and the constant variation is a common problem. If you are sure about the temps your system can handle, you can try to set the fans at a constant speed. Use pwmconfig....set max and min values to be the same and use the pwm calibration to determine the appropriate value.

Comment

Install the sysv-rc-conf package, then run it as sudo.
      This will give you a list of all the startup programs, and for which run levels they are enabled.
      If fancontrol has X's in the 2,3,4,5 positions, then move over them with the cursor, and hit the space bar to deactivate them. Q exits the program, then reboot.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Cool tool dr...

whats the "S" column

Please Read Me

Comment

whats the "S" column
          That is for stuff in the /etc/rcS.d, which as I recall sets environment variables used at any boot level.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

ty

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X