Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compaq Presario V2000 Laptop - Trying To Set Up Dial Up Connection(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Presario V2000 Laptop - Trying To Set Up Dial Up Connection(Solved)

I'm at a real loss here, as it's been at least 15 years since I've dealt with a dial up setup in a computer. I really need some help!

I've installed Kubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) in a Comqaq Presario V2000 for a friend, who only has dial up access. Everything is fine with the system, until I try to set up the dial up using KPPP.

Looking in KinfoCenter, I see the modem shown as an ATI SB400 AC'97 Modem. I don't have a landline telephone line here in the house to connect to that modem, so currently am connected with my wireless network.

The ISP the friend is using is "DialUp4Less." They are Linux friendly and offer this setup page for KPPP, with their example as OpenSUSE.

http://www.dialup4less.com/kppp2.html

When I start KPPP, for openers, the "Wizard" does not have an option for U.S. dialup providers, so one is forced to use the Manual setup.

Under the Dial tab, I am able to enter a Connection Name as well as enter a telephone number for the dial up. Authentication is correct as PAP/CHAP. Under the IP tab, I am correctly set at Dynamic IP address. Under the Gateway tab, again I'm set correctly at Default Gateway and the box is checked for Assign the default route to this gateway.

Now, I have a problem. When I go to the DNS tab, "Manual" is marked and "Automatic" is grayed out. According to the ISP instructions on the website above, I am to use Automatic DNS Configuration, but I cannot choose that option.

I don't know what I will experience beyond that point, as I cannot proceed past the issue with choosing Automatic DNS configuration.

At this point, I'm totally lost in regard to setting up the dialer and dial up configuration. I'm not even sure if KPPP is the best approach to setting up a dialer.

I really need some help here and any and all help and troubleshooting assistance would be most appreciated!

Regards,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Re: Compaq Presario V2000 Laptop - Trying To Set Up Dial Up Connection(SOLVED)

I found that the easy fix was to just go ahead and use the gnome dialer. Automatically detected the dial up modem and allowed me to set the DNS to auto, while KPPP would not let me do so.

Regards,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

Working...
    X