X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound and other problems in reinstalled Lucid

Hello,

I just reinstalled my Kubuntu to correct the thing that X doesn't work at all in other kernels than 2.6.32-020632, and after some "configurations" and boots, X stopped to show anything but mouse pointer at this kernel also so I decided to reinstall the system.

Unfortunately after reinstall kernel said above is still the only kernel that works, now though system tilts when using other kernels. It isn't though biggest problem for user because this one still works somehow, although sounds won't work. System claims that it can't use SB Live! Value (rev.8) Standard PCM Playback. I have searched through Google but all that I found was incomplete instructions about emu10kx etc.

So can you guys suggest me the right path for success?

Here is lspci listing
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT880 Ultra/PT894 Host Bridge
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT894 Host Bridge
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT894 Host Bridge
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT890 Host Bridge
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT894 Host Bridge
    00:00.5 PIC: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT894 I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT894 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237/VX700 PCI Bridge
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT890 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 5372
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 07)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b0)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b0)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b0)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b0)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 90)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237S PCI to ISA Bridge
    00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7c)
    00:13.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 PRO AGP [Radeon HD 3650]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]
    03:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 06)
    03:06.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 06)
    &quot;Itse lieto Lemminkäinen jopa lämsänsä lähetti<br /> Hiien hirven hartioille, kaulalle kamelivarsan,<br /> jottei potkinut pahasti selkeä silittäessä.&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kalevala

Re: Sound and other problems in reinstalled Lucid

Sounds work in Windows at same machine and also when using Live CD, so sound card is not broken.
    &quot;Itse lieto Lemminkäinen jopa lämsänsä lähetti<br /> Hiien hirven hartioille, kaulalle kamelivarsan,<br /> jottei potkinut pahasti selkeä silittäessä.&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kalevala

Comment

I have no idea what is causing your problem, but I do notice that you seem to have 2 sound devices: an "ATI RV635 Audio device" (presumably associated with your display controller) and your SoundBlaster. I would click on the little loudspeaker icon in your system tray (which allows you to adjust the settings in Kmix) or start System Settings from the Kmenu (or Lancelot) and try "Multimedia". I suspect that your system is looking at the wrong audio device.

Comment

Actually system can't use that either and there is no loudspeaker icon in system tray. System sees JACK and PulseAudio only usable on Multimedia section and those 2 are unusable options in that section (their colour is light gray)

Comment

In the BIOS, you need to disable "onboard audio".

#6 on this has links to sound troubleshooting help: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Comment

The absence of the loudspeaker icon in your system tray may indicate that you do not have Kmix installed. I thought that Kmix was part of the standard Kubuntu installation. You can easily install either kmix by itself, or the entire kdemultimedia metapackage, which also includes Dragonplayer, Juk, and Kscd.

Comment

Found the solution for sound problem, apparently when I installed this kernel, I forgot to install headers and therefore /lib/modules/XXX/modules.dep wasn't available for this kernel.

Thanks for help, even though the guidelines weren't actually correct but made me to find the correct path to solution.

Now if I would only know why other kernels won't work at all, not even those that are installed by apt. Last time I tried, X didn't start at all and I had few moments just login terminal, but after some time it tilted so that keyboard didn't response to anything, I didn't get even capslock on (which is my way to test if system still responses).

Comment

You might want to blacklist whatever the driver is for that VIA audio chip. It might be that the chip is detected and the kernel module loaded, by some kernels, before the driver for the soundblaster. I have similar issue on my desktop with a USB headset and VMware, and the resulting conflict between the usb sound module and the hda-intel sound module will lock up my keyboard and mouse just as you describe -- a total hang on the USB subsystem, leaving you no choice but the power switch. Blacklisting the usb sound module will prevent the problem (and also prevent you from using the usb sound device).

Comment

Btw onboard audio was disabled already beforehand.

Curiosly I tested some newer kernel just to see that it halts the system and after reboot and back to that working kernel I see again black screen with white mouse pointer. If I try to restart kdm from window ctrl-alt-f1, it halts when I go back (c-a-f7 or -f8).

I didn't find VIA audio chip on my lspci listing, only other audio chip I found is one in graphic card (ATI) and disabling graphic card would... hmm if I just before chose that Kubuntu can ignore that audio chip, maybe it also ignored whole card and that's why graphics won't work, now where could I find that cfg-file...

Comment

Working...
                  X