This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Computer goes to sleep and doesn't "wake up"

Dunno why. It just goes to sleep. Then I gotta unplug it and start it again. This never happened before and I didn't change any hardware.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Computer goes to sleep and doesn't &quot;wake up&quot;

Not knowing anything about your hardware - PC make/model - or the HDs you have - make/model - there isn't anything we can go on. :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
      4GB DDR3
      nvidia geforce 9800gtx (512)
      and some 500gb Maxtor HDD...don't remember what model

And I'm running the x64 version.
      Sound doesn't work either.
      Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

Ahhh -- Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics -- my kinda PC!

OK, first thing to do is open a terminal window and:

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install intel-microcode
        Use your Tab key to highlight "YES" on the question about downloading the firmware.

On the "falling asleep" thing, that's either a video issue or a motherboard power management deal. Does it stay "awake" long enough to install a proprietary driver? You can try the KMenu > System > Hardware Drivers utility first -- be patient as there is a download that happens in the background.

We can fix the audio after we've trained it to stay awake.

Comment

Ah, excellent. The sound problems are fixed. I tested it and it worked. So once I get my connection up and running properly I guess i'll be able to fix the falling asleep problem.

Thanks a lot
          I'll be back to this topic once the connection problems are solved

Comment

Please don't start mixing issues. You started this thread with the issue of your PC going to sleep and not waking up. Stick to that. If you have other issues, start new posts in the appropriate boards, one per issue.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right; sorry.
              The problem has been resolved.

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Computer goes to sleep and doesn't &quot;wake up&quot;

Can you tell what the solution was?

It is nice to get the solution into the post. So it can be helpful to somebody else too.

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Computer goes to sleep and doesn't &quot;wake up&quot;

Sorry, old topic and I forgot to post

The problem was caused by the fact that I couldn't get my connection working; hence, I couldn't update/download the proper drivers for my video card and the PC kept going to sleep.
                  So yeah, after I got the connection up and running I just went to the KMenu > System > Hardware Drivers as dibl suggested and downloaded the drivers.

For the connection problem (also solved) here's the link to the topic:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112659.0

ElWray

Comment

Working...
                  X