Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddest hardware behavior yet: USB Webcam causes extremely slow boot up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddest hardware behavior yet: USB Webcam causes extremely slow boot up.

This is not a linux issue but there's some smart folks on here so I thought I try here anyway. MODS: move this post with my apologies if I mis-placed it.

I'll try to be brief:
    Webcam is Logitech Web C200 device 046d:0802.
    Installed, used without issue on HP ZD7010us laptop with Lucid (Skype, cheese) while on trip.
    Returned home, put same cam onto desktop computer: ASUS Formula Maximus (see sig graphic).
    Attempt startup of same: Boot took more than 5 minutes to reach the "Hit del for setup" message!
    After dozen attempts, assumed hardware issue, checked mem/cards, cables, PS voltage output.
    Finally decided to unplug everything except monitor: system began normal boot up.
    Since keyboard is USB, re-connected USB hub and rebooted to get keyboard - slow boot again.
    Looked up and saw that new webcam was plugged into same USB hub, unplugged it only: normal boot again!!!

Once up and running (whew!) again, plugged in webcam - works perfectly. Rebooted hours later to test: slow boot.

This one has me totally baffled. It reminds me of an IRQ conflict in the olden days of computers. I cannot for the life of me figure out how a USB device can be this destructive to BIOS processing. I even let it run its course once and managed to boot into Lucid. Once booted it seemed only slightly slower than normal but this was likely due to the fact that I had cleared CMOS during troubleshooting. Once I restored my OC settings all went back to normal.

Any geniuses out there have any ideas

...and yes, I know "unplug it when you reboot"...

Here's the dmesg output when I plug in this webcam, not that it reveals anything:
    [48915.812568] usb 2-2.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    [48916.056648] usb 2-2.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [48916.099698] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    [48916.381077] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
    [48916.381102] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0802)
    [48916.396287] input: UVC Camera (046d:0802) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-2/2-2.4/2-2.4:1.0/input/input6
    [48916.396342] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [48916.396344] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)

Please Read Me

Re: Oddest hardware behavior yet: USB Webcam causes extremely slow boot up.

One interesting experiment would be to go into your BIOS, disable "USB Boot", then try it again with the webcam plugged in. You can see what I'm thinking ....

Comment

Working...
    X