This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound only works in certain applications

i'm editing my previous post after testing a few more things... i'm not sure if this is a hardware/driver problem or what... please advise if i should post somewhere else!

just installed kubuntu 10.04 x64

i've got system sounds and sound in some applications but not others. for exampe, i have sound in kapman (kde game) but not granatier (kde game), sound works in amarok, but not in vlc or kaffeine. i have, of course, checked the sound levels in each application.

this lead me to believe it was a permissions problem. i went into user management and enabled everything. i also added the medibuntu repositories and updated everything. still no luck!

also kmix crashes when i try to start it. alsamixer levels are all maxed

this is lspci

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 2)
    00:07.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 3)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)
    00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
    00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
    00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
    0e:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    14:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    1a:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
    1a:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    1a:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
    1a:04.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
    any suggestions appreciated!!! please let me know if extra information would help... thank you

Re: sound only works in certain applications

been trying for a couple days now to get the sound to work for all my programs... still no luck

tried adding

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=toshiba
    to

Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    as it seems to be a common fix for intel hda sound, but no luck

very frustrated! PLEASE HELP!!

Comment

...still open to suggestions

Comment

i'm not sure if this is a hardware/driver problem
        Maybe you could borrow somewhere usb speakers to try out. They have their own sound card. But they don't work out of the box with VLC either.
        And I cannot imagine it would work with kmix corrupted.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I'm curious to to see how this gets fixed. I have a similar but sort of opposite problem. You have sound in Amarok but not VLC, Kaffeine. I have sound in VLC, Kaffeine but not Amarak (sense 2.0). I've tried all the volume controls etc. to no avail. Read sound fixit threads on this Forum and Ubuntu. My system is old 32 bit, Sound Fusion CS64xx. I even tryed Ubuntu_Studio (gnome). That was messed up too.

Come on smart people, tell us how to fix or trouble shoot sound stuff.

Thanks.
          Ken.

P.S. I may not believe what you say, but will try harder if you say it in fewer words.
          Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

thanks for the replies!

unfortunately i can't find anyone with usb speakers! i don't really want to buy some just to test this out, so i'll have to let that one go i think

odd thing is, i've never had sound troubles before. i'm currently triple booting kubuntu lynx, ubuntu lynx and mint 8 lxde, but i've used opensuse, chakra, fedora, and others with no problems. Except for once, with mint 7 kde, but the solution in my second post took care of it straight away.

Comment

well, it's kind of a shame, but i gave up and installed a different operating system, just couldn't get the sound working... thanks anyway

Comment

It appears that your sound card gives Linux a difficult time. This posting led to a solution using OSS, an audio driver that I used to use.

Here is the installtion guide.

Get the proper OSS driver from here, making sure you get the deb package of either the 32 or 64bit architecture, depending on what your box is.

I can't guarantee that you have the skill to successfully install it, or that it will solve your problem, but it has worked for me and many others. Good luck!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X