This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b won't recognize Sony DVD-R media in Sony DVD-R drive

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. I have a Sony DVD-/+R 20 internal burner (model DRU842A), and some Sony AccCORE DVD-R media. K3B won't recognize the media as legitimate, so I cannot burn anything. The drive is perhaps a year old and has worked perfectly to this point. This is my first attempt to burn a DVD.

At the Sony website, I don't see anything helpful. I cannot confirm there that this media is OK for this drive, but I think it should be.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do next to get past this issue?

Thanks!

Re: k3b won't recognize Sony DVD-R media in Sony DVD-R drive

Hi

Is the drive otherwise Okay eg is it |Okay with CDRs-RWs?

Have you tried running K3b as root to eliminate permission problems?

Comment

I dont have sony hardware but I cant use DVD-R medea it has to be DVD+R or it dosent work.

despite K3b reporting DVD-R wright capabilitys for the device........................

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

UPDATE: I had to be away for a few days. I've now found that if I set the multisession mode to none (or equivalent - I may be mis-remembering the exact term), the media will be accepted. But then k3b wanted to write at 20x, and the media is rated for 16x tops. When I let it go at 20x, the files appears to be there, but Kubuntu reported being unable to read them. For all intents and purposes they were empty.

I then tried resetting the write speed to 16x, and k3b said the drive didn't support that and tried to write at 17x, bringing down the OS, and ruining another DVDR.

Retried at 12x (which the drive documentation says it DOES support), and k3b said again that this wasn't supported and tried to write at 13x and again crashed the OS and ruined the media.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on (as they say in some circles). This is a Sony drive rated to write DVD+R media at 20x max, and I'm using Sony Accucore DVD+R media rated for a 16x. This should work. For now, however, I'm dead in the water.

All ideas welcome...

Comment

error output should show up in dmesg.

Sorry to say that sony media has a history of being unreliable - but that was awhile back.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X