This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired Ethernet not working with 10.04

So I have installed Kubuntu 10.04 on my Acer 4820TG. But no wired ethernet. (Yes, wi-fi works but, as I have no wi-fi router, suggesting I use that instead to upgrade my packages is NOT an option.)

Internet works for all other machines, like the one I'm typing this one now! Internet also works for the Windows 7 partition on my Acer.

I read on an Ubuntu thread that I needed to install the latest version of the Atheros driver. So I downloaded the AR81Family-Linux-v1.0.1.9 tarball and copied it across to my laptop. When I tried to compile the source, I'm told

make: not found

Oh crap! Shouldn't this be part of the standard distributions by now? So I go looking for make, get the tarball, again copy it across to my laptop.

$./configure
    $ [stuff]
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See 'config.log' for more details
    $

So what am I supposed to do now? Get the gcc tarball? I know that configuring it is a non-trivial task. And I'm supposed to do ALL THIS just to get internet access?

I ran lspci on my machine. This is what it says:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 12)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev 05)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    7f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
    7f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
    7f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
    7f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
    7f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
    7f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)

I've been trying to find a workable solution to this for three days now, without success. (Note also that my Ethernet controller above is already showing Atheros family AR81.) Halp!

Re: Wired Ethernet not working with 10.04

Your title is a bit off-putting. Honestly, is it 10.04 not working with wired ethernet Obviously not.

So you got part way there. The issue is you need some packages that you haven't got.

These commands are required:

tar zxvf AR81Family-Linux-v1.0.1.9.tar.gz
    sudo su
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install linux-generic-header
    make install
    modprobe atl1e

Is it possible to go somewhere (coffee shop, library, internet cafe) with a wireless connection so you can install and update

Otherwise, download the packages as you need them and install them manually one at a time until your dependencies are met.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay, maybe I didn't explain it well enough:

> I did this

sudo su
      > I did this

> I did this

> I did this

make install
      > My laptop told me, "make: not found"

So, I track down "make", copy the tarball from my main Linux desktop to my laptop (where 10.04 is running WITHOUT wired ethernet, hence the title "Wired Ethernet not working with 10.04" I'm not sure what is so misleading about the title...?). I install make.

Now I get messages that I need gcc and cc and cl. I am not a full-time developer. I don't know how to configure gcc. Is there anything else I can do? I've been searching the web for 3 days now trying to find an answer. So far, the best you've told me is to get to a cafe or something. I might do this when I have some spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Your title is a bit off-putting. Honestly, is it 10.04 not working with wired ethernet Obviously not.

So you got part way there. The issue is you need some packages that you haven't got.

These commands are required:

sudo su
        make install
        modprobe atl1e

Is it possible to go somewhere (coffee shop, library, internet cafe) with a wireless connection so you can install and update

Otherwise, download the packages as you need them and install them manually one at a time until your dependencies are met.
        The user has no internet connection, the cmmands won't work

Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

What I meant was wired internet clearly works with 10.04 - just not for you. So "Acer 4820TG..." or "AR8151..." would be much more specific and much more likely to attract the attention you want: someone who can help you with your issue.

Actually - since you've discovered a possible solution (installing the driver) your REAL issue getting "make" installed without a wired connection... you get my point

I'm not trying to be a jerk - I'm actually trying to help you get help. Make your Subject lines more meaningful and you'll get more meaningful help, OK?

Anyway - what tarball did you get to install make What I am wondering is why not download and install the .deb package rather than try and build from scratch. "make" is included in make_3.81-7ubuntu1_amd64.deb or make_3.81-7ubuntu1_i386.deb depending on 64 or 32 bit install.

GCC and such are needed to build from a tarball, but not to install a deb package.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+package/make

Maybe this will work...

Please Read Me

Comment

Bruce makes an obvious (but not to me ) point - :P - get those deb packages too - but not tarballs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X