This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Video out to widescreen LCD TV, poor image quality

Hello, I just installed Kubuntu 10.04 LTS to a Toshiba Satellite M65-S9065.

Intel Pentium M 1.73ghz
    1gb of RAM
    Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS 910GML Express Video Card.

Its connected via S-Video to a Westinghouse LTV-32w1 Widescreen TV. The image quality is extremely terrible. I tried to take a screenshot of the problem but the screenshots didnt show the quality loss. The LCD screen on the laptop is smashed and we use the laptop hooked into the tv as a media center.

Originally we have windows XP pro installed and the quality is fine, but when we try to use Kubuntu the image is grainy and unreadable.

If there is anything i could do to make the screen quality better let me know, this is the only thing keeping us from using Kubuntu exclusively on our media center.

Thanks

EDIT : I messed around with larger fonts and such, but even though the text is bigger its still not readable and the overall quality is still garbage.

Re: Video out to widescreen LCD TV, poor image quality

As someone who hooks up to my 50" plasma using Intel 945gma I'll say this:

1. Check your resolution and DPI first. In order to get a satisfactory image you MUST be at native (maximum) resolution and using the correct scan frequencies. DPI needs to be correct for the fonts to display properly - either 75, 96, or 100 dpi depending on which fonts you are using.

2. The Intel series of video chips are notoriously difficult to get working well in linux. Frankly, I'll never buy another motherboard using this video chipset. Look for the IntelGraphics project on the web.

3. Finally - the svideo hookup is the least satisfactory way to connect. Of course, one would think you could get it at least as good as windows if you get all the above resolved.

Some more web searching for MythTV information might reveal some helpful information as well.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks alot for the help.

After messing with dpi and all that with no success, I found the solution that worked for me. I found an old VGA cable and tried that to connect, BAM! it looks as crisp as a new 100 dollar bill.

I found out that S-video connections are terrible when it comes to quality, and my S-Video cable must be the cheapest one out there. If anyone else has this problem, go get a VGA Cable or HDMI cable to make the connection.

Kubuntu Trinity, Oh How I Love Thee!

This thread is Solved! so mods please update the title

FD

Comment

Glad you found out the issue, often the simplest things are where to start.

The way to edit the title to show solved is to go to your first post, click on modify, then do your edit.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X