X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] ov51x-jpeg webcam driver won't build

Good morning everybody,

I'm still succesfully using my webcam (creative LIVE! CAM VISTA IM) with kubuntu 8.04 Hardy-heron and Skype through ov51x-jpeg module.
    I could not build this module on 10.04 since now using module-assistant or the instruction found in this wiki: http://www.rastageeks.org/ov51x-jpeg...gHackedInstall

Is anyone experiencing this?

Thanks
    Francesco

Re: ov51x-jpeg webcam driver won't build

All of your build tools/programs are not installed by default and most "how-tos" even those directed at *buntu rarely tell you to make sure they are installed. So off the top of my head I would first try:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then try to build the module again.

If that does not work, you're going to have to give some more information, error messages, etc.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Thanks for reply.
      My webcam, a Creative CAM VISTA IM, is perfectly working using Kopete, without any extra driver installation.

The only problem is to have it working under Skype.
      I achieved this goal in Hardy Heron by means of ovx51-jpeg driver but it seems that it is not compatible with the 2.6.3X kernels used in Lucid.
      I've already installed all the tools needed to build (build-essential package).

Since it is perfectly working in kopete I guess it's only a configuration problem and a new driver installation is not required.

Thanks again
      Francesco

Comment

SOLVED!

to get this webcam (and I guess other webcams) working under skype in Kubuntu 10.04 (also Ubuntu) proceed as follow:

-1 CHECK YOUR WEBCAM

assuming your webcam is working in Lucid (check with Kopete or similar IM software).
        Open a terminal and run the following command:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /your-skype-folder/skype

this will start your skype. Check now your cam is working.

-2 INCLUDE ALL IN A SCRIPT

Close skype
        open your favourite text editor and type the following:

#!/bin/bash
        LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /your-skype-folder/skype

save it as "skypewebcam" or any other name, set it executable and now start it.

Done!

As usual its not a linux or ubuntu fault, Skype acts a bit odd sometimes.

Thanks for help.
        Bye
        Francesco

Comment

Working...
        X