This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huawei E160e modem not found in network manager

I have this working on an Asus Eee pc with netbook remix 10.04 and a Toshiba laptop with 9.10 64bit so decided to update the laptop to 10.04. Did a clean install and it will not find the modem. Mobile broadband stays greyed out in network manager. But if I boot off the 9.10 live cd it will find it, mobile broadband changes and I can set it up. Is there some package missing in 10.04? I installed all that I could find for mobile broadband but it is still the same.
    lsusb shows it there as Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem the same as 9.10.

Re: Huawei E160e modem not found in network manager

Have you activated the restricted drivers?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I run Hardware Drivers with the modem plugged in it tells me no proprietary drivers are in use on this system. Plus I don't need to do this with 9.10 as the modem works straight off the Kubuntu 9.10 live cd and I didn't have to do that on Kubuntu 10.04 netbook remix either.

Comment

I have this sort of working. If I start the Toshiba laptop with it plugged in, it does find it and it will work. The problem is not the laptop as I can boot off the Kubuntu 9.10 live CD and then plug it in, it will be found and I can then log in and browse the internet. It also works like that off my Asus EeePC with Kubuntu 10.04 Netbook remix so why won't it do this with Kubuntu 10.04 Desktop on my Toshiba laptop.

Comment

I'm going to suggest that it is a 'missing group' you don't belong to. With you normally logged in (without the modem attached during boot), open a console and type:
          Code:
          groups
          Note which groups you belong to.

Then reboot your PC with the LiveCD, again, without the modem attached. Once on the Desktop, plug the modem in. Once it is recognized, open a console and type:
          Code:
          groups
          Note the groups, as they are the ones that root (which you are actually running as from the LiveCD) belongs to. Compare them to your list of groups. You should notice one more that your user isn't a member of.

Reboot without the LiveCD, and when on the Desktop, open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo usermod -a NEWGROUPNAME
          where NEWGROUPNAME is the group you identified and want to add your user to.

Example:
          sudo usermod -a modem (modem being the name of the group to add).

Then reboot again, without the modem attached. Once on the Desktop, plug it in and see if it doesn't get recognized and setup for use.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X