This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth keyboard

I bought a Bluetooth keyboard to use with my laptop and a large monitor. I can't get it to work.
    Kubuntu 10.04LTS on a Dell Vostro v13 laptop. The keyboard is called Rocketfish which I purchased used from Amazon marketplace.

Bluetooth manager recognizes it and reports that it is connected, but then I get a dialog box that asks for a PIN to be entered there and also on the device(keyboard). I'm not sure what that is about, so I tried a couple simple PINs on the laptop and re-entered them on the keyboard. No message as to whether it's right or not, but when I press enter the dialog goes away and the keyboard doesn't work. The help button on the dialog box doesn't do anything and the keyboard documentation is worthless.

I've used a Bluetooth mouse with two different laptops now and several versions of Ubuntu and Kubuntu and never had any problems. Anyone have any ideas?

USB/Bluetooth keyboard

I experienced the same problem with a Logitech diNovo keyboard. In fact, it is a little more involved.
    1) I've just upgraded from 9.10.The keyboard used to work with the USB stick on that (9.10)
    2) It still does work with the USB stick during GRUB. I can move the cursor and make selections.
    3) As soon as the OS loads, the connection goes away and I can't even connect to the stick
    4) I tried the bluetooth connection (that never used to work) and had the same experience as Saunter.

It is like the USB support goes away when the OS loads.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Krampusz

Comment

Re: Bluetooth keyboard

OK, I think I've got it. In fact, I am typing this via the bluetooth connection.
      So, do what you did, but be patient. Apparently, it is very slow:
      1) launch bluetooth device manager, and remove your device (if it is still there)
      2) turn it off and then start the device manager and hit "new"
      3) when it asks for a PIN, enter it on your keyboard and hit enter and enter the same in the window and hit finish
      4) set your keyboard to be "trusted"
      5) turn off your keyboard and wait until the device manage shows it to be "not connected"
      6) turn on your keyboard and hit "connect"
      7) a window will come up asking for your PIN. Enter it.
      8) If all goes well, it will work. You might have to wait a little between the steps.

I hope this will work for you, too.

Comment

How's the diNovo keyboard working? I'm considering one as I dumped a glass of wine in my previous keyboard this weekend!

Please Read Me

Comment

tried the suggestions above. still no luck. if it's critical to do things in the correct order, there should be documentation somewhere to that effect.

Comment

[sorry for not replying earlier]
            just in case this still matters: I don't know if order matters. A few days ago I was trying a new setup and foolishly disconnected my bluetooth keyboard. I vaguely remembered what I did the last time, but now looking at it I did it in a different order. I think the key is entering the PIN right. It feels funny, because you are typing on a keyboard and there is no feedback that it works. As far as I can tell the main point is to enter the PIN on the keyboard and on the laptop right after one another and you also have to (well, I think) hit enter after entering the PIN. And then just wait. For me, it was clear that my laptop detects the keyboard the question was how to enter the PIN.

To answer the other question, the keyboard works great and I like it very much. The fact that it has a little touch pad with mouse buttons is great and otherwise it is really cool. Also, the battery life is extremely good, I only have to recharge it once in a few months.

-K

Comment

Working...
            X