This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Asus Notebook touchpad not recognized, hot key doesn't work, Lucid

I have an Asus N50 laptop and the touchpad is always active. Lucid cannot find the touchpad (thinks it is a mouse) and so the System Settings module is non-functional, making it impossible to configure the touchpad or turn it off. Also, the touchpad hot key does not function so the touchpad is always "live" making it easy to blunder something up for us poor typists. I find this to be a real annoyance.

I haven't found an answer to the configuration module that fits my skill level, but I did find a fix for the hot key that worked as promised. I'm re-posting it here in hopes of making it more accessible.
    Original post by Jacob van der Meulen :

"This problem is also valid for the ASUS UL30A. The touchpad is seen as an "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". See in dmesg and by the command "xinput list". I am using Ubuntu 9.10.

To disable the touchpad the following command can be used:

xinput set-int-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" "Device Enabled" 8 0

To enable use:

xinput set-int-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" "Device Enabled" 8 1

To make the <Fn>F9 working I did the following:

1. As the <Fn>F9 does not generate a keycode but an acpi event you cannot assign just a keycode to a script. So I first checked the generated event hotkey code using:
    sudo acpi_listen
    and pressed <Fn>F9. This gives 0000006b as event hotkey code.
    2. In /etc/acpi/events there is an asus-touchpad event file. This is using the wrong code so I changed it.
    3. The script /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh is not correct for this touchpad so I changed it (see attached script)
    4. Now send the acpid a SIGHUP signal (or reboot) and the <Fn>F9 button toggles your touchpad an or off."

I found this procedure to work perfectly, and now I can turn off my touchpad with <Fn>F9 as shown on the keyboard. Use:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/acpi/events
    to open the events file for editing, make the changes as indicated and then close. Change the permissions of the asus-touchpad.sh file thus:
    Code:
    sudo chmod go+w asus-touchpad.sh
    Open the file and save it with a slightly modified name, I used asus-touchpadx.sh. Then download the modified file to the original location. You will have to go to the original thread to get the modified file (#20): Check to see that the file was updated (newer date). Reset the permissions:
    Code:
    sudo chmod go-w asus-touchpad.sh
    Reboot and the hot key works!
Working...
X