Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ati-driver is gone in 10.04 LTS, how do I get it back?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ati-driver is gone in 10.04 LTS, how do I get it back?

I just upgraded to 10.04 LTS and lost 3d acceleration.
    I have an ATI card. What should I do to get 3d going again.
    Thanks for any help.

Re: ati-driver

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the free driver.

Comment

Same problem here, with fglrx.

The blue image during boot appears like in 16 colors.

kdm looks fine, however.

Once logged in, I have no 3d effects. If I try to turn compositeness on, it gets turned off again immediately, with no explanations.

All was working fine in 9.10

Any help appreciated...

Andrea.

Comment

I have dl the driver from ATI's website.

and ran "sudo sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run"

with this message,

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
        default:v286_64:lib32::none:2.6.32-21-generic; make sure that the version is being
        correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.4zuWWu

Comment

Re: ati-driver is gone in 10.04 LTS, how do I get it back?

Same problem here. I was hoping to give the new FlightGear2 a try, guess I'll have to go back to Windoze :-(

Comment

I don't know if this will be of any help but I have an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO video card made in 2000 and one trick I learned is when I install 10.04 I typed xforcevesa by pressing F6 and then type xforcevesa at the end of the command line and then hit Enter.

The xforcevesa command makes buntus use 1280 x 1024 instead of 1152 x 864. At least with my video card anyway. Once your in the installed version of your buntu you can change the resolution if you want to lower it.

If you don't do that at install you could probably add that line to the xorg file I suppose but I don't know how to do that yet.

Comment

Hi Apollo,

thanks for your hint!

My resolution is presently 1440x900, the same as with 9.10, and in 9.10 it worked smoothly. So I hope I won't have to resort to changing it...

Cheers,

Andrea.

Comment

Ok I am curious,

Does anyone with an ATI card have 3d acceleration working on 10.04 LTS.
                If so please share your wisdom.

Thanks in advance, Eric

Comment

My ATI card was made in 2000 so I’ve never been able to get anything 3D working because it’s too old to support the newer OpenGL driver to do 3D stuff.

Comment

MY 3d works very nice w/ 10.04 , (ati raideon 4830HD). also plymouth looks very nice (that does require more tweaking.)

people using newer ati cards (i.e supported by the closed driver). who had fglrx installed before upgrading to lucid can not install another driver untill they remove the old fglrx driver..
                    this is a known bug in *ubuntu 10.04

to fix: (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR STUFF IS NOT BACKED UP AND/OR U DONT USE THE CLOSED SOURCE ATI DRIVER, ALSO DL AND BURN A LUCID DISK JUST INCASE!!!!!!!!!!!)
                    [code=run in konsole]sudo sh /etc/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh [/code] to force uninstall of the old driver. if that fails (and chances are it will,else you wouln't have the problem).
                    you have to manually remove the ati driver from the system. basicly i removed the /etc/share/ati. also you want to rmmod fglrx (if its running,i recommend running under vesa driver or the open driver while you try this) and then try to install fglrx driver via jockey, there might be more that needs removal to get fglrx to reinstall, but im not 100% sure on that. i have had no luck w/ ati's current driver v.10.4. infact when i tried to manually remove it i broke my package system(oops,see above warning.) so i just reinstalled, and freshly installed the driver (but it was working before i decided to try the 10.4 version of fglrx.)

btw, apollo9, your card will require the open source driver. if you want opengl/3d to work.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi sithlord48,

thanks for the hint! Unfortunately (or luckily) I never trust updates, and always install from scratch (after formatting the partition mounted on /).

So my case does not fit in your recipe. I tried it anyway, just in case: I removed the proprietary driver using jockey, and after that I did not have any /etc/share/ati folder, which means, I guess, that the uninstall was fine.

What is even more puzzling, is that yesterday, all of a sudden, 3d desktop effects started working (without me doing anything). Today it's not working again...

Thanks for your help!

Andrea.

Comment

yes i had working 3d after install for only one boot, after restarting i had to install the fglrx driver. to reenable them. thats very odd indeed.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Anybody has any hints on this?
                          Yesterday desktop effect came back, but today they are gone again...

Here is kwin's output when I try to enable composition:

kwin(14531) KWin::Extensions::init: Extensions: shape: 0x "11" composite: 0x "4" render: 0x "a" fixes: 0x "40"
                          kwin(14531) KWin::Workspace::setupCompositing: OpenGL compositing
                          kwin(14531) KWin::SceneOpenGL::initBufferConfigs: Drawable visual (depth 24 ): 0x "72"
                          kwin(14531) KWin::SceneOpenGL::initBufferConfigs: Drawable visual (depth 32 ): 0x "9a"
                          kwin(14531) KWin::SceneOpenGL::initBuffer: Buffer visual (depth 24 ): 0x "71"
                          kwin(14531): Compositing self-check failed, disabling compositing.
                          kwin(14531): Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled

And I noticed in the Xorg log this line:

fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found

kwin(14531): Consult http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KWi...tes#Setting_up

Comment

Hi again,

at the end, I just replaced kwin with compiz, and now I have my 3d effects back. It's just a shame the kwin refuses to work.

Cheers,

Andrea.

Comment

Hi,
                              I work on freshly installed Kubuntu 10.4. The original driver worked very well. When I installed the ATI driver, I had the same problem, the 3d effects didn't work. But I've found a stupid, but working solution:
                              After every reboot:
                              K->Applications->Settings->System Settings->Look&Feel->Window Behavior
                              Here I change the checkbox "Display list while switching" and "Apply"
                              After "Apply" the 3d switching works again.
                              I don't know a better solution, but for me in this way it is tolerable.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X