This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Getting 2 sound cards to behave nicely

Hi, I have two sound cards, a realtek (on board) recognised as Intel ICH and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2. I can get most applications to use the SoundBlaster as the default sound card, however, none of the options in VLC gets it to play on the SoundBlaster, it always defaults to the RealTek. Question is, how do I get to set the SoundBlaster as the default sound card?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Re: Getting 2 sound cards to behave nicely

do you use both? If not, just disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I do use the both sound cards. The I use the input and output on the front of the pc for skype conversations. For all other purposes, I use the PCI SoundBlaster.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Having the same problem, posted it in the software section cause I believe it was software related (bug)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111324.0

Comment

Isn't there a way to hook up your SB card to the motherboard so that it will be routed to the front panel?

I can provide you with a method to effectively blacklist the onboard sound and use only the SB but I'm assuming you don't want that.
          Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
          Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by 0x00FE
            Having the same problem, posted it in the software section cause I believe it was software related (bug)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111324.0
            I think mine is close to yours. One minor difference is that Kaffeine, Dragon and everyone else uses the SoundBlaster. VLC is the only one that doesn't and I do NEED VLC for video playback especially for my movies. Tto the poster who suggested blacklisting, I can easily just disable it in the bios but what good would it do? And no, I can't reroute it to use the front panels or I'd have done so and just disable the onboard sound card and finish. I solved the issue in the previous version but the same technique applied doesn't work in this new release. Maybe it's a software bug like 0x00FE mentioned.

Comment

You can't specify the audio to use in VLC's Tools > Preferences > Audio > Output ?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can, snowhog, the problem is it will still default somehow to playing on the onboard card no matter if the system and everything else points to the soundblaster.

---------------------------
                Update
                ---------------------------
                Did a fresh install and everything seems to be working fine now.

Comment

I think I spoke too fast. After finally rebooting, the same issue has resurfaced. VLC refuses to play except on the second sound card irrespective what I try. Any ideas other than disabling the onboard sound card?

Comment

I don't know if it will help you but on my system I do have and use two sound cards:HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog (on board) and one with my video card Radeon HD 4550 .

On my setup I only use the HD 4550 audio processor when I am sending the video to the plasma tv using an hdmi cable. In order to get the sound working through the hdmi I must go into the pavucontrol menu and select the hdmi "set as fallback" to get things working properly else there were some programs that would not play audio through the hdmi connection. If I do not return the setting "set as fallback" to my NVidia sound chip there are some programs that try to use the hdmi. I never tried to catalog which program does what but know which way works, we don't use the plasma tv too often, just when we want to play an .iso file or sometimes Hulu etc.

You may want to experiment with the PulseAudio Volume Control menu, and try switching the default fallback device in the configuration section. Perhaps pulseaudio settings are creating a conflict for you.

joe

Comment

I hate to say it, but this is where pulseaudio is supposed to work better. Maybe installing that might be helpful. (pulseaudio is NOT installed by default in Kubuntu as it is in Ubuntu)

Comment

Thanks for that input. I have installed PulseAudio and somehow have played around with it. Under configuration, it doesn't list the soundcards by name, just by analog in etc. (See attached screenshot pulse2). How do I get it to change?
                        Attached Files
                        Current System: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Core(Up to 4.4GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVME M.2 SSD, SER5 MAX Mini Desktop Computer with TCL BeyondTV5 serving as my monitor. ​

Comment

Have you looked at the Multimedia section in System Settings, it should list your decives a little clearer. I don't recognize those dialogs - assuming vlc's settings? I don't know what "profiles" mean .

Comment

That was the pulseaudio settings. I rebooted the system and went back to pulse audio settings and the other soundcard showed up. Now, I can successfully switch soundcards at will. Thanks a million for the help guys.

A mod can mark this thread as being solved.
                            Current System: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Core(Up to 4.4GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVME M.2 SSD, SER5 MAX Mini Desktop Computer with TCL BeyondTV5 serving as my monitor. ​

Comment

Working...
                            X