This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michel View Post
    Just for my information how do you go about adding and removing the backports. It was pretty much straight forward in Synaptic, you added the repos and they checked or unchecked them.
    In Muon, select "Settings -> Configure Software Sources", go to the "Other Software" tab and un-check any repos that have "ppa" in them. For the repos you would have added for KDE would look like the following:
    Code:
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu precise main
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu precise main (Source Code)
    Finally select the "Check for Updates" to refresh you sources.

A side note, if you would like to keep 12.04 because it is a LTS release (versus 12.10 which is not), many people have been quite happy upgrading Precise to 4.9.x without any issues. Then the only time you would need to re-enable the backports repo is when/if 12.04 receives another KDE update.
    Last edited by benny_fletch; Oct 13, 2012, 10:14 AM.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I thought 12.10 was an LTS ! I will probably remain with 12.04 and try your KDE update. Thanks.

Also just for my information can you elaborate a bit more about backports? Are they specific to the release? What are the risks evolved in using them. Should they remain activated or is it better to disactivate them once the upgrade is done? Will an LTS that has been upgraded through backports remain an LTS?

Michel
      Last edited by michel; Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I did the update and so far so good. Waiting to hear from Benny as to whether I should keep the backport sources active or not.

Michel

Comment

Keep it active.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's what I know (someone else may know more). Yes, backports are specific to release. If you notice your repo source it has "precise" in it, Quantal (12.10) will have its own in due time. This is very similar to how debian handles theirs as well with "squeeze" and "wheezy" etc. etc. or how Mepis has the Community Repo (it is a backports repo just with a different name). Backported software is newer software made to work on an older base (i.e. since 4.9 is in 12.10, the kind people here at kubuntu backported it to work on 12.04).

I would suggest keeping the repo enabled, that way you will receive any updates involving the upgraded software. Much like you would keep the Mepis CR repo enabled if you installed software from there. Basically, it just allows you to beware of any fixes that the software teams deem a necessity. If you disable the backports repo, you will not know about these fixes immediately. You can enabled/disable the repo every so often, but that is a personal choice. I for one keep them enabled.

As for the LTS, yes, all non backports software will remain legitimate supported software per the LTS. The only software that will not will be KDE, Amarok, and Calligra (there may be a few others, but I am not aware of them). All other software will be the official Precise (12.04) LTS versions. Will this cause issues in the future, I am not sure, but I feel it is worth the risk to have the latest KDE on an LTS release. YMMV.

UPDATE : Snowhog beat me to it. Look at my opinion simply as a +1 to his.
            Last edited by benny_fletch; Oct 13, 2012, 02:03 PM. Reason: Update
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Thanks to both.

I noticed after my upgrade that Muon was uninstalled (I re-installed it via Synaptic) and when I tried to turn desktop effects off to speed things a bit, I saw this message:

OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
              This was most likely due to a driver bug.
              If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
              you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
              Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead.

Any ideas about how to handle this video issue? Can I install and run sgfxi?

My card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500

Michel

Comment

I just noticed the availability of KDE 4.9.3 for 12.10 and Raring on kubuntu.org and was just wondering if there were plans to release that update for 12.04 LTS users? I have been extremely pleased with 4.9.2 and I am very grateful that it was made available for Precise, so please don't take this as me complaining or anything, I am simply curious. Thanks.

Comment

Earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...tandard-repos)
                  --> http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post307874

ScottK If you want 4.9 after 12.10 is released, I think you should use 12.10. 17:46
                  ScottK That's been the way we've done it in the past. 17:46
                  If you want to be sure - you could ask this from the kubuntu-developers at #kubuntu-devel
                  Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                  - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
                    Earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...tandard-repos)
                    --> http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post307874

If you want to be sure - you could ask this from the kubuntu-developers at #kubuntu-devel

Cool, thanks. I can understand the thought process here and like I said I was just curious. I was kind of hoping 12.04 would at least receive the next to two bugfix releases for 4.9, but again, I understand there is limited man power and they want to focus on 12.10 and 13.04 (12.04 is old news I guess). Again, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Precise & 4.9.3

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/11/07...ntu-devel.html
                      * yofel goes working on 4.9.3 for precise
                      yofel 4.9.3 is uploaded here: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...ages?batch=200 and will build in due time. (DON'T USE THAT PPA ON YOUR SYSTEM) 21:48
                      pedahzur yofel: Oh, I know...I won't use staging. I'll wait until it appears in the PPA I already have configured. 21:58
                      yofel the builders are currently a bit busy, so that might take a day or so 21:58
                      pedahzur yofel: No worries. Great to know it's in progress. 21:59
                      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

So we wait until we get prompted for an upgrade?

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                          So we wait until we get prompted for an upgrade?
                          Correct, as long as you have kept the precise backports repo active it will eventually show up as an update.

@OneLine - Thanks for the update!

Comment

Woo-hoo! This excites me greatly
                            For the first time ever, I'm planning to stay with the LTS release this time. I've got my triple-OS-boot house of cards working so well right now, I don't want to mess with it. Being able to get at least one more bugfix update for KDE 4.9 will help me be content with my stay on LTS. HUGE thanks to all the volunteers who make this possible!

I have never been happier with an OS than I am currently with Kubuntu.

Comment

Consumer research is becoming a big thing in Linux lately, what have you been using before Kubuntu and what are the features you like most about it?

Michel

Comment

Before Kubuntu I used Knoppix, Red Hat and Win98, I like the integration of applications and configurability.
                                And in my eyes it looks good.
                                Last edited by Teunis; Nov 09, 2012, 04:05 AM. Reason: There was a life between Kubuntu and Windows

Comment

Working...
                                X