This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel transparency

I have an interesting situation. I am using Kubuntu 11.10 w/ KDE fully updated and Oxygen theme, except I would like to change the panel bg. No problem, I go into system settings/workspace appearance/desktop themes/details and change the panel bg to an image that I have created in gimp and converted to svg via inkscape. The image indeed is now the panel bg, but the problem is that my panel has a transparency setting that is making the image barely visible. I assumed using a custom image would negate any transparency settings, but that isn't the case here.

So...is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to set the panel to 100% opaque?
    Hyperbole is the worst thing EVER.

Re: Panel transparency

http://askubuntu.com/questions/70694...esktop-panels/

You could examine the Aya theme. It has an opaque panel background.

The base theme is Aya; picking the Aya and turning the other theme items to Air. Not - picking the Air and turning the Panel Background to Aya.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Unfortunately, that doesn't work here. Changing to Aya theme gives me an opaque panel, but when I change the panel bg to my image, oddly enough, I get the Oxygen panel! BTW, I considered the problem was with the image, so I used an online converter and tried 4 other jpg's converted either in inkscape or online and ALL of them produce this behavior...i.e., none of them will do what I want.

Comment

I'm not sure, what you are doing. Are you following the KDE TechBase documents ?

Pure vector, with system colors

Editing the Aya's panel background file. Adding there: a hint-tile-center and a new center svg object.

Picking the panel-background.svg to the customized desktop theme.

panel-background.svg pastebin: http://pastebin.com/Hhqfyz38

Raster embedded, picture colors left unchanged

Removing the "hint-apply-color-scheme" from the panel-background.svg and embedding a png picture (new "center").

The big picture

Have you tried ?

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine
          I'm not sure, what you are doing. Are you following the KDE TechBase documents ?
          I have no idea what these documents are, but I'll go google them now.

Pure vector, with system colors

Editing the Aya's panel background file. Adding there: a hint-tile-center and a new center svg object.

Picking the panel-background.svg to the customized desktop theme.

panel-background.svg pastebin: http://pastebin.com/Hhqfyz38

Raster embedded, picture colors left unchanged

Removing the "hint-apply-color-scheme" from the panel-background.svg and embedding a png picture (new "center").

The big picture

Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to show me. As I said, I made a jpg image in gimp, opened it in inkscape and saved it as a plain svg, then applied it as the panel bg in system settings/workspace appearance/desktop themes/details. The image works as the bg, but the panel transparency is such that it's virtually the same as the Oxygen bg.

Comment

Again: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70694...esktop-panels/
            Have you tried ?

Comment

Again: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70694...esktop-panels/
              Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've looked at those, but it appeared a bit more involved than I wanted, I simply wanted to replace the file in the kde settings module and have it work. I may try to play around with replacing some of the svg files in the aya theme, but in the meantime I've found another theme that does almost what I want, so it's not a big deal. Thanks for the help.

Comment

A short how to: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119324.0
                Have you tried ?

Comment

Just fyi, followed this short tutorial EXACTLY and when I choose my altered theme, the panel disappears completely.

Comment

Everything is possible with the wonderful world of the computers, but if you want to review you could pack and drop your theme package to a free file sharing service.

Looking "free file sharing without registration", picking the first one. Mine - Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/k288wz

west & south centers enabled.

Original tile (google): 5769547-red-seamless-christmas-background-with-gold-stars-tiles-can-be-combined-seamlessly-graphics-are-grou.jpg

Have you tried ?

Comment

There is obviously something wrong with my kde installation. How do I know? I downloaded your theme package and put it in my .kde/share/apps/desktopthemes folder and then opened system settings and chose your theme (Tiles) and my panel once again disappeared completely!

Comment

I have confirmed this by experimenting with my laptop. When I follow your tutorial and apply the changes on my laptop, it works perfectly. So something is wrong with my kde installation on my desktop. Now, how do I go about finding out what the problem is and how to fix it?

Comment

Something to try:

Start the konsole and give the commands:
                          Code:
                          kquitapp plasma-desktop
                          Code:
                          plasma-desktop
                          this should stop the plasma-desktop and restart it.

If you let the konsole on and change the plasma theme with the System Settings the konsole could show some information.

At here:
                          QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
                          QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
                          link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
                          link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
                          To increase the plasma verbosity you could use the KDebugDialog. The KDebugDialog is:
                          KDebugDialog is a dialog box for managing diagnostic messages at runtime.
                          Command (krunner): kdebugdialog.

Have you tried ?

Comment

Well, after an update of several files, including plasma desktop, everything is back to normal, altering the appropriate files works, and now the default theme works correctly once again. I don't know what was wrong, but thanks for your responses, you have helped me to learn something new

Comment

Working...
                            X